The Institute of Computing Technology
Tel: (8610) 62541341
Fax: (8610) 62527488
1962—1968 Beijing University Bachelor
1978—1981 The Institute of Computing Technology, CAS Master
1981—1985 Purdue University, U.S.A Ph.D.
Director of Institute of computing Technology, Chinese Academy of SciencesMain Research Topics
Member of Chinese Academy of Engineering
Fellow of The Third World Academy of Sciences(TWAS)
Chairman of a Council of China Computer Federation (CCF)
Member of The Advisory Committee for State Informatization
Vice chairman of the strategic expert committee in information area of the second national high-tech R&D program (S-863, 2001-2010).
Chief Editor of Journal of Computer Science and Technology (CCF publication)
Dean of Information School of Zhejiang University
Awards and Prizes
Li Guojie is perhaps the best-known researcher in China’s computer industry
today. Under his leadership, the National Research Center for Intelligent
Computing Systems—a project to build the next generation of parallel intelligent
computers for China—has designed and developed many prototypes that allowed
China to leapfrog its computer technology. The resulting systems have put
to use and have led to many subsequent spin-offs in China and elsewhere.
Li also provided a systematic method to design VLSI processor arrays, integrating
unique, high-efficiency algorithms for parallel processing.
Books and Book Chapters:
1. Computers for Artificial Intelligence Applications, B.Wah and Guojie Li, IEEE
Computer Society Press, 1985.
2. Parallel computations and parallel computers for Artificial Intelligence, J.Kowalik
ed. Kluwer Science Pub., 1988 (one chapter).
3. * Guojie Li, “Parallel Combinatorial Searches”. In Book “Basic Theory of Artificial Intelligence, Peking Univ. Press, 1988.
4. Guojie Li, ed. “Advanced Computer Architecture”, CSTU Press, 1988.
5. Parallel Processing for Supercomputers & Artificial Intelligence, K.Hwang and
D.DeGroot eds. McGrwa-Hill Pub., 1989 (one chapter).
6. Guojie Li, “Entropy and Attractability in Hopfield Neural Networks”, in Learning
and Recognition, eds. by K.H.Zhao et al. World Scientific, pages 107-115,1989.
7. Computers for Artificial Intelligence Processing, B.Wah and C.Ramamoorthy eds.,
John Wiley & son Inc. pub. 1990 (one chapter).
8. Parallel Algorithms for Machine Intelligence and Vision, V.Kumar, P.Gopalak
vishna and L. Kanal springer-Verlag Pub. 1990 (one chapter).
9. * “Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology”, Tsinghua Univ. Press, 1998. G.J.Li as the vice chairman of editor board on Computer
Architecture and Organization.
10. * Guojie Li, “Intelligent Computers”, in the book “Dialogue with 50 Top Level Scientists”, Zhu Linan ed., 1997.
11. * Guojie Li ed. “Computers in 21 century”, Scientific and Technology Information Press, 1999.
1. * Guojie Li, “Data Flow Machine: A New Computer Architecture”,
J. of Computer research and Development, No. 11, Vol. 18, 1981.
2. * Guojie Li, “Parameter Method for Designing Array Pipelining Algorithms”, J. of Computers No.5, Vol.5, 1982.
3. Guojie Li and B.W.Wah, The Design of Optimal Systolic Array, IEEE Tran. on Computers, Vol. c-34, No. 1, page 66-67, 1985.
4. B.W.Wah, Guojie Li and C.F.Yu, Multiprocessing of Combinatorial Search Problems, IEEE Computer, Vol. 18, No.6, pages 93-108, 1985.
5. B.W. Wah and Guojie Li, A Survey on Special Purpose Computer Architectures for AI, ACM SIGART April, page28-46, 1986.
6. Guojie Li and B.W.Wah, Coping with Anomalies in Parallel Branch-and-bound Algorithms, IEEE Tran. on computers. Vol. 18, No.6, pages 568-673, 1986.
7. B.W.Wah and Guojie Li, “Systolic Processing for Dynamic Programming Problem”, Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 7, No.2,
8. B.W.Wah and Guojie Li, “ A Survey on the Design of Multiprocessing Systems for Artificial Intelligence Applications”, IEEE Trans. on System, Man and
Cybernetics Vol. 19, No.4, pages 667-692, 1989.
9. B.W.Wah, M.B.Lowrie and Guojie Li, “Computers for Symbolic Processing”, Invited paper, Proc. of the IEEE. Vol. 77, No. 4, pages 509-540, 1989.
10. Guojie Li and B.W.Wah “Computational Efficiency of Parallel Combinatorial OR_Tree Searches”, IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering , Vol. 16, No. 1,
11. B.Wah and Guojie Li, “Optimal Parallel Evaluation of AND Trees”, J. of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Vol. 10, No.1, 1-17, 1990.
12. * Li Guojie, On Neuro-computer Architecture, J. of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Vol.3, No.1, pages 36-40, 1990.
13. * Li Guojie, Entropy Based System-Theoretical Aspect of Artificial Neural Networks, Journal of Computers, Vol. 13, No.5, pages 321-330, 1990.
14. Yao Xin and Guojie Li, “General Simulated Annealing”, Journal of Computer Science and Technology, Vol. 6, No.4, pages329-338, 1991.
15. Zhongyun Zhang and Guojie Li, “Optimal Partitioning and Granularity of Uniform Task Graphs”, Journal of Computer Science and Technology, Vol.6, No.2,
pages 185-194, 1991.
16. * Guojie Li, “Computational Complexity of Artificial Intelligence”, Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol.5, No.3, 1992.
17. * Gu Jun and Li Guojie, Algorithms For The Satisfiability Problem: J. of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 6, No.2, 1993.
18. *N. H. Sum and Guojie Li, “Parallel Inserting and Deletion of priority Query”, J. of Computer research and Development, No. 3, Vol. 35, 1993.
19. * Guojie Li, “Massive Parallel Computer”, J. of Computational Physics, 1993.
20. * N. H. Sum and Guojie Li, “Efficiency of Distributed Combinatorial Search on Transputer Network, J. of Computer, vol.17, No.12, 1994.
21. * Li Guojie, et al. Dawning-1 Parallel Computer, J. Computers, Vol. 17, No.12, pages 882-889, 1994.
22. * Liu Tao and Li Guojie, “Multistage Search Rearrangement Algorithm for solving SAT problem”, J. of Software, vol.7, No.4. pp201-210, 1996.
23. *J. G. Liu and Guojie Li, “Design and Implementation of a Novel A/D Transfer”, J. of Computer Engineering and Design, 1996.4.
24. *Y. Tian and Guojie Li, “High Efficient Genetic Algorithms for Solving SAT Problems”, J. of Pattern Recognition and AI, vol.9, No.8,1996.
25. * Liu Tao and Li Guojie, “ Local Search for Solving SAT Problems and its Average Time Complexity, J. of Computers, vol.20, No.1, pp 18-26, 1997.
26. * J. G. Liu and Guojie Li, “The Study and Implementation of Computer with Analogical Input”, J. of research on Computer Application, 1997.
27. * J. G. Liu and Guojie Li, “The Hypothesis and test on Space distribution of Magnetic Energy”, J. of Electronic Device, 1997.
28. Guojie Li, “Non-Traditional Computing Technology of High-performance Computing Technology”, World SCI-TECH R&D, vol.20, No.3,1998.
1. Guojie Li and Wah, “The Design of Systolic Array for
Image Processing”, Proc. of IEEE Int’l Conf. on Computer Architecture for
Pattern Analysis and
Image database Management, 1983.10.
2. Guojie Li and Wah, “Computational Efficiency of Parallel Approximate Branch-and-Bound Algorithms”, Proc. of IEEE International Conf. on Parallel
3. Wah and Guojie Li, “The Status of MANIP--A Multicomputer Architecture for Solving Combinatorial Extremum-Search Problems”, Proc. of ACM 11th
International Symp-on Computer Architecture, 1984.
4. Guojie Li and Wah, “How to cope with Anomalies in Parallel Approximate Branch-and-Bound Algorithms”, Proc. of American National Conf. on Artificial
Intelligence (AAAI-84), 1984.
5. Guojie Li and B.W.Wah , MANIP-2: A Multi-computer Architecture for Evaluating Logic Programs, IEEE International Conf. on Parallel Processing,
Pages 123-130, 1985.
6. Guojie Li and B.W.Wah, Parallel Processing of Serial Dynamic Programming Problems, Proc. of IEEE Int’1 Conf. on Computer Software and Application,
7. Guojie Li and B.W.Wah, Systolic Processing for Dynamic Programming Problems, Proc. of IEEE Int’1 Conf. on Parallel Processing, 1985.
8. Guojie Li and B.Wah, “Optimal Granularity of Parallel Evaluation of AND-Tree”, ACM/IEEE Fall Joint Computer Conf. 297-306, 1986.
9. Guojie Li and B.Wah, How Good Are Parallel and Ordered Depth-First Searches, IEEE International Conference on Parallel Processing, pages 992-999,
10. Guojie Li and Wah, “Heuristic Guiding of Evaluation of Logic Programs”, Invited paper in IEEE International Conf. on System, man, and Cybernetics,
11. Guojie Li, “Supercomputers for AI Applications” Proc. of IEEE Third International Conf. On Supercomputing, 1988.
12. X. Yao and Guojie Li, “Solving Combinatorial Optimization Programs by Simulated Annealing”, International Conf. on PPCC-3, 1989.
13. X. Yao and Guojie Li, “Simulated Annealing with Generation and Acception Probability”, International Conf. on BISYCP89, 1989.
14. Z. Y. Zhang and Guojie Li, “Optional Partitioning and Granularity of Tasks with Communication”, PPCC-3, 1989.
15. Z.Y Zhang, Guojie Li, et al, “Partitioning of Independent Tasks for Parallel Processors”, Third Pan Pacific Conf. on Computers, pages 110-116, 1989.
16. Xin Yao and Guojie Li, “Performance Analysis of Simulated Annealing”, Third Pan Pacific Conf. on Computers, pages972-980, 1989.
17. Guojie Li, The Research Direction of China National Research Center for Intelligent Computing Systems (NCIC), Proceedings of International workshop on
advanced Computers for AI, pages 33-44, 1990.
18. Zhimin Tang and Guojie Li, “Optimal Granularity of Grid Iteration Problems”, IEEE International Conf. on Parallel Processing, pages 111-118, 1990.
19. Zhimin Tang and Guojie Li, “ On the Reduction of Connections in Hopfield Associative Memories”, IEEE International Conf. on Circuits and System,
pages 282-285, 1991.
20. Yi Shang and Guojie Li, “New Crossover Operators in Genetic Algorithms”, IEEE International Conf. on Tool for Artificial Intelligence, pages 150-154,
21. Guojie Li and B.Wah, “Parallel Iterative Refining A* Search”, IEEE International Conference on Parallel Processing, Vol.1, pages 608-615, 1991.
22. Guojie Li, “The Progress of China’s Hi-tech Program on Intelligent Computing Systems”, International Conf. on Computer Software and Application”, 1993.
23. N. H. Sum and Guojie Li, “Efficiency of Parallel Computing on Shared Memory Multiprocessing”, ICYCS 93, 1993.
24. * Y. H. Zhang and Guojie Li “Recognition System of Printed Chinese Characters Based on Technology Integration”, Proc. of Fifth National Conf. on
Recognition of Chinese Voice and Characters, 1994.
25. * C. G. Cao and Guojie Li, “Activity Analysis of MACS on Multi-Agent System”, proc. of National third Conf. on AI, 1994.
26. Guojie Li, “NCIC’s Research and Development in Parallel Processing”, IEEE ISPAN invited talk, 1994.
27. * J. G. Liu and Guojie Li, “Research on Input Device of 3D Space”, Nation Conf. on Intelligent Computer Interface and Applicatons, 1997.
28. * Guojie Li, “The Key Technology and Perspective of Scalable High Performance Computers”, Proc. Third Conf. on Chinese Academy of Engineering,
29. Guojie Li, “R&D on High Performance Computer in High-Tech Program of China”, HPC’ ASIA invited paper, 1998.
30. * Guojie Li, “On National Knowledge Infrastructure”, Proc. of the Fifth Chinese Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, Keynotes, 1998.
31. Guojie Li, “Dawning 2000 Superserver and National High-end Computing Environment in China”, IPPT’99 workshop, Keynote speaker, 1999.
32. * Guojie Li, “Deeply Thinking on Promoting China’s Computer Hi-Tech Industry”, Proc. of Academician Forum on Hi-Tech Development, Shenzhen, 1999.
* Published in Chinese